Research Coordinator of the Community Medicine Department
Indah Suci Widyahening obtained her medical doctor (MD) degree and her MSc in Occupational Health and Safety from the Faculty of Medicine Universitas Indonesia. Shortly after that, she was granted a scholarship from the Asian Development Bank to obtain an MSc in the Clinical Medicine – Family Medicine from the College of Medicine University of the Philippines in Manila. Under the Asialink Clinical Epidemiology and Evidence based Medicine collaboration, she was given the opportunity to participated in the workshops on Teaching Evidence Based Practice in Oxford Centre for Evidence Based Medicine, first as a participant and then a facilitator. She was also appointed as the Clinical Epidemiology and Evidence based Medicine (CEEBM) module coordinator in FKUI since 2009. She obtained her PhD in Clinical Epidemiology from Utrecht University in 2016, the title of her dissertation is “Evidence-based diabetes care in Indonesia – knowledge translation and transfer of best practice”.
Currently, she is the research coordinator of the Community Medicine Department of the FKUI. On the national level, she is a member of the National Board for the Enhancement of the Primary Care Physicians Education in Indonesia whose main task is to prepare a nation-wide post-graduate education on primary care and the secretary of the National Colleagues of the Primary Care Physicians. She is also a member of the National Experts Committee on the Control of Non-Communicable Diseases in Indonesia.
She also has keen interest on diabetes research. She managed several nation-wide projects on diabetes in collaboration with the Indonesian Society of Endocrinology, the Indonesian Diabetes Association, the Indonesian Pediatric Society, the Ministry of Health and the World Diabetes Foundation
Areas of expertise:
Family medicine, evidence based teaching.
-Widyahening IS, Wangge G, van der Graaf Y, van der Heijden GJ. Adapting
clinical guidelines in low-resources countries: a study on the guideline on the
management and prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Indonesia. J Eval Clin Pract. 2016 Sep 4. doi: 10.1111/jep.12628. PMID: 27592587.
-Widyahening IS, Thuraiappah DM, Han TM, Vidiawati D. Indonesian primary care physicians profile in 2011: Did practicing hours and conversion program for family medicine differentiate their services and continuing medical education activities? Asia Pac Fam Med. 2014 Dec 20;13(1):16. doi:
10.1186/s12930-014-0016-x. PubMed PMID: 25598700; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4296548.
– Widyahening IS, Wangge G, Saldi SR, Lestari BW, Apriani L, Sastroasmoro S,
Glasziou P, van der Graaf Y, van der Heijden GJ. Quality and reporting of
publications by Indonesian researchers: a literature survey. J Evid Based Med
2014;7:163-71. doi: 10.1111/jebm.12112. Review. PMID: 25156942.
– Widyahening IS, van der Graaf Y, Soewondo P, Glasziou P, van der Heijden GJ. Awareness, agreement, adoption and adherence to type 2 diabetes mellitus guidelines: a survey of Indonesian primary care physicians. BMC Fam Pract 2014;15:72. doi: 10.1186/1471-2296-15-72. PubMed PMID: 24755412; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4000317.
– Wegner I, Widyahening IS, van Tulder MW, Blomberg SE, de Vet HC, Brønfort G, Bouter LM, van der Heijden GJ. Traction for low-back pain with or without sciatica. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Aug 19;(8):CD003010. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003010.pub5. Review. PubMed PMID: 23959683.
– Widyahening IS, van der Heijden GJ, Moy FM, van der Graaf Y, Sastroasmoro S, Bulgiba A. From west to east; experience with adapting a curriculum in evidence-based medicine. Perspect Med Educ. 2012 Dec;1(5-6):249-61. doi: 10.1007/s40037-012-0029-9. PubMed PMID: 23240103; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3518799.
– Widyahening IS, van der Heijden GJ, Moy FM, van der Graaf Y, Sastroasmoro S, Bulgiba A. Direct short-term effects of EBP teaching: change in knowledge, not in attitude; a cross-cultural comparison among students from European and Asian medical schools. Med Educ Online 2012 31;17:19623. doi: 10.3402/meo.v17i0.19623. PubMed PMID: 23121993; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3487025.
– Soegondo S, Widyahening IS, Istantho R, Yunir E. Prevalence of diabetes among suburban population of Ternate–a small remote island in the eastern part of Indonesia. Acta Med Indones. 2011 Apr;43(2):99-104. PubMed PMID: 21785172.