Professor of Clinical Epidemiology and Distinguished University Professor of International Health.
Diederick Grobbee is Professor of Clinical Epidemiology at the University Medical Center Utrecht and was appointed University Professor International Health Sciences and Global Health in 2010. In 1996 he founded the Julius Center and served as its director for 14 years. He is Chief Scientific Officer of Julius Clinical Research, ltd. He obtained an MD at the Utrecht University and a PhD in Epidemiology at Erasmus University, Rotterdam. After a residency in Internal Medicine, he was appointed Associate Professor and subsequently full Professor of Clinical Epidemiology at Erasmus University. He was a Visiting Associate Professor at Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, and is Visiting Professor at the University of Sydney. He is a fellow of the Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences and acted as chair of its Medical Section and its Medical Advisory Committee. In 2010 he was appointed Distinguished University Professor of International Health Sciences and Global Health by Utrecht University. He is a past president of the Netherlands Epidemiological Association. At Utrecht University he directs the MSc program “Epidemiology”. Diederick Grobbee has been on the editorial board of several journals and (inter)national scientific, search and site-visit committees. He is Editor-in-Chief of the European Journal for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation and President of the European Association for Preventive Cardiology.
Diederick Grobbee has been a (principal) investigator in many large scale epidemiologic studies and randomized trials of interventions for the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. His experience covers the full range of epidemiologic study designs including trials, cohorts and case-control studies. Topics include hypertension, diabetes, risk factors in children and youngsters, coronary heart disease, women’s health, cardiovascular ageing, heart failure and non-invasive vascular imaging. In addition to research on drugs he examined the cardiovascular effects of various nutrients and dietary factors in cohort studies and trials. Apart from his interest in cardiovascular disease he has worked on the theoretical principles and methods of diagnostic and prognostic research.
Prof Grobbee is listed in the top 100 global most influential biomedical researchers (Eur J Clin Invest. 2013 Dec;43(12):1339-65).He supervised over 130 PhD fellows and published more than 1200 scientific papers, chapters and books. Number of international citations (Web of Science) 71910. Hirsch: h = 131.
– van Bilsen LA, Savitri AI, Amelia D, Baharuddin M, Grobbee DE, Uiterwaal CS. Predictors of Ramadan fasting during pregnancy. J Epidemiol Glob Health 2016;6:267-75.
– Savitri AI, Zuithoff P, Browne JL, Amelia D, Baharuddin M, Grobbee DE, Uiterwaal CS. Does pre-pregnancy BMI determine blood pressure during pregnancy? A prospective cohort study. BMJ Open 2016;6(8):e011626.
– Savitri AI, Idris NS, Indawati W, Saldi SR, Amelia D, Baharuddin M, Sastroasmoro S, Grobbee DE, Uiterwaal CS. BReastfeeding Attitude and Volume Optimization (BRAVO) trial: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2016;17:271.
– Idris NS, Grobbee DE, Burgner D, Cheung MM, Kurniati N, Sastroasmoro S, Uiterwaal CS. Cardiovascular manifestations of HIV infection in children. Eur J Prev Cardiol 2015;22:1452-61.
– Thom S, Poulter N, Field J, Patel A, Prabhakaran D, Stanton A, Grobbee DE, Bots ML, Reddy KS, Cidambi R, Bompoint S, Billot L, Rodgers A; UMPIRE Collaborative Group. Effects of a fixed-dose combination strategy on adherence and risk factors in patients with or at high risk of CVD: the UMPIRE randomized clinical trial. JAMA, 2013;310(9):918-29
– Den Ruijter HM, Peters SA, Anderson TJ, Britton AR, Dekker JM, Eijkemans MJ, Engström G, Evans GW, de Graaf J, Grobbee DE, Hedblad B, Hofman A, Holewijn S, Ikeda A, Kavousi M, Kitagawa K, Kitamura A, Koffijberg H, Lonn EM, Lorenz MW, Mathiesen EB, Nijpels G, Okazaki S, O’Leary DH, Polak JF, Price JF, Robertson C, Rembold CM, Rosvall M, Rundek T, Salonen JT, Sitzer M, Stehouwer CD, Witteman JC, Moons KG, Bots ML. Common carotid intima-media thickness measurements in cardiovascular risk prediction: a meta-analysis. JAMA, 2012;308:796-803 IF:30.026
– Jun M, Foote C, Lv J, Neal B, Patel A, Nicholls SJ, Grobbee DE, Cass A, Chalmers J, Perkovic V. Effects of fibrates on cardiovascular outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet, 2010;375:1875-1884 IF: 28.278.
– De Bruin JL, Baas AF, Buth J, Prinssen M, Verhoeven EL, Cuypers PW, van Sambeek MR, Balm R, Grobbee DE, Blankensteijn JD; DREAM Study Group. Long-term outcome of open or endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm. N Engl J Med, 2010;362:1881-1889 IF: 53.290
– Heerspink HJ1, Ninomiya T, Zoungas S, de Zeeuw D, Grobbee DE, Jardine MJ, Gallagher M, Roberts MA, Cass A, Neal B, Perkovic V. Effect of lowering blood pressure on cardiovascular events and mortality in patients on dialysis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Lancet, 2009;373:1009-1015 IF: 28.278
– ADVANCE Collaborative Group, Patel A, MacMahon S, Chalmers J, Neal B, Billot L, Woodward M, Marre M, Cooper M, Glasziou P, Grobbee D, Hamet P, Harrap S, Heller S, Liu L, Mancia G, Mogensen CE, Pan C, Poulter N, Rodgers A, Williams B, Bompoint S, de Galan BE, Joshi R, Travert F. Intensive blood glucose control and vascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med, 2008;358:2560-72 IF: 53.290
– Crouse JR 3rd, Raichlen JS, Riley WA, Evans GW, Palmer MK, O’Leary DH, Grobbee DE, Bots ML; METEOR Study Group. Effect of rosuvastatin on progression of carotid intima-media thickness in low-risk individuals with subclinical atherosclerosis: the METEOR Trial. JAMA, 2007;297:1344-1353
– Kastelein JJ1, van Leuven SI, Burgess L, Evans GW, Kuivenhoven JA, Barter PJ, Revkin JH, Grobbee DE, Riley WA, Shear CL, Duggan WT, Bots ML; RADIANCE 1 Investigators. Effect of torcetrapib on carotid atherosclerosis in familial hypercholesterolemia. N Engl J Med, 2007; 356:1620-1630 IF: 53.290